Friday, October 12, 2012

Closer than you think

The reading for today feels incomplete. It's only part of the story. It feels a little bit like getting up intermission and not going back for the conclusion. But, we will get the rest of the story tomorrow. So, as I often do when I need to clear my head, I went for a run and a chat with God. Today, rather than a podcast, I turned on Pandora. As I set out, I immediately reconsidered this decision because the first song to come on was "All Alone" by Fun. Not exactly a "set a personal best" kind of inspiring song. Here is the chorus.
And I feel so all alone
No one's gonna fix me when I'm broke
How do you cry with inanimate eyes?
You're never gonna smile with the way that you're wired

And I feel so all alone
Kind of a bummer. However, as a church planter, I can totally relate to this feeling of isolation. I have moments every day where I am tempted to wallow in this emotion. But I quickly discovered that God speaks through my Pandora quick mix because the next song up was "Closer than you think" by The Classic Crime. Here is part of the chorus.
I still hold the belief that we are free
That we don't need the rules to see
That despite what we've done we're not alone
We're closer than we think to home
Despite what we've done, there is someone to fix us when we're broken. There is someone to fix us when we break ourselves and the same someone is there to fix us when others break us. Despite how we feel, despite what our circumstances are, despite how many people desert us, we are not alone. Thank you Jesus for speaking to me through Pandora today. Thank you for always walking beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment