Monday, October 22, 2012

Strike that, reverse it

The person of Solomon confounds me. I have not spent a great deal of time studying his life or his writings in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. When I do encounter him, he confuses me. Take today's reading for instance. Chapter two is all about his quest (seemingly given to him by David) to root out and eliminate his political rivals so that he can secure his position on the throne. One of them he even has killed in the Tabernacle while the man is clinging to the Mercy Seat. He then goes and offers sacrifices in the high places, to gods other than the one true God.

And after all of this God appears to him in a dream and offers him a blank check. He says ask for anything and I will give it to you. Solomon asks for wisdom to lead God's people. So God give him that and riches and honor. I have two initial thoughts. First, I think, "God, didn't you see him worshipping false gods earlier the very same day you give him a blank check?" Second, I think that all of this wisdom that Solomon is looking for would have been really helpful as he was worshipping false gods and having people killed in the Tabernacle. This seems insane to me. This guy is acting like the king of any other pagan nation and God comes to him and blesses him with wisdom, riches, and honor beyond anyone who ever lived. How does that make sense?

And then it hits me. That's grace. That's how it works. God doesn't bless us far beyond what we deserve because we seek him and walk in his ways. It is completely the opposite. God seeks us out. God chases us down. God rains down his love and mercy on us, and it's in response to that undeserved favor that we tap into the power and strength of the Spirit that allows us to live the life he has for us. To steal a line from Relient K, "the beauty of grace is that it makes life unfair." The mystery and miracle of grace is not that we don't get what we do deserve (although that's part of it) but that we get what we could never deserve.

Solomon didn't deserve wisdom, riches, and honor any more than we deserve the love, salvation, and peace that is offered to us in the person of Jesus Christ. But, just like Solomon, when we respond to God, when we accept his gift, when we accept his invitation,  he lavishes his blessings upon us.

I am so thankful that life is unfair. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to experience the limitless grace, mercy, and love of my Father. Thoughts? What did God say to you today through the scripture?

No comments:

Post a Comment